cluttering my life

After my lack of motivation I’ve had a couple more interesting ideas and so I’ve started very slowly poking at them, being very careful to not overdo it in an attempt to avoid the burnout. So far it seems to be working!

The short is that my mate Sam and I have been pondering for a year or more the idea of building an arcade cabinet that runs emulators for various old systems (MAME and such). He’s a high school woodworking teacher and cabinetmaker by trade so he’s perfectly qualified to build the box. I know a thing or two about computers, so I can do that bit. The problem so far is that we’ve never really had any good place to build it - I have a garage but no tools, Sam had no space at all.

He’s just recently moved house and is finishing getting his own garage all kitted out with workbenches and drop saws and drill presses and other things that scare me and he’s now ready to build something, so we’re taking another look at it. I’ve managed to scrounge enough parts to build a reasonably good rig, though the ridiculous weather is making me reluctant to go out to the shed to work on it. Arcade Gaming Australia have all the buttons, joysticks and other bits that we’ll need. There’s only one thing left - an awesome UI for choosing games and things. Yay software!

So tonight I’ve been sitting under the air conditioner fiddling with Clutter. Its a library for making fancy interfaces by using lots of 3D stuff under the hood. As far as I can tell the most well known example of the type of thing its for is Apple’s Cover Flow. Just from playing with some of the samples I already have some idea of how I’d like a game selector to look, so I’ve started experimenting using the Perl bindings.

The basic idea is that you set up a bunch of actors, which are basic visual elements - some text or an image for example. You can specify various transformations for an actor, eg scaling, rotating, etc. After that, you place your actors somewhere on the stage, which is roughly analogous to a window.

Next is where I get a little confused, but not so much that I can’t get something done. You setup a timeline, which has two paramaters - number of frames, and frames per second. You hook up an “alpha” to the timeline, which is a function that gets called every frame, and returns a number that I don’t fully understand the purpose of yet. The number is used to drive “behaviours” attached to each actor, which makes them do something depending on the current distance through the timeline. A behaviour might be to move the actor around the stage, rotate it, or something more clever.

There’s also an input layer, but I haven’t really started looking at that yet.

So here’s the fruits of my evening. It takes a random image and rolls it around a window.

#!/usr/bin/env perl

use 5.10.0;

use strict;
use warnings;

use Glib qw( :constants );
use Clutter qw( :init );

say "usage: roll image" and exit -1 if !@ARGV;

my $stage = Clutter::Stage->get_default;
$stage->signal_connect('key-press-event' => sub { Clutter->main_quit });
$stage->set_size(800, 600);

my $actor = Clutter::Texture->new($ARGV[0]);
$actor->set_anchor_point($actor->get_width / 2, $actor->get_height / 2);
$actor->set_position($stage->get_width / 2, $stage->get_height / 2);

my $timeline = Clutter::Timeline->new(100, 26);
$timeline->set(loop => TRUE);

my $alpha = Clutter::Alpha->new($timeline, sub {
    my ($alpha) = @_;
    return int($alpha->get_timeline->get_progress * Clutter::Alpha->MAX_ALPHA);

my $rotate = Clutter::Behaviour::Rotate->new($alpha, "z-axis", "cw", 0.0, 359.0);

my $path = Clutter::Behaviour::Path->new($alpha, [ $actor->get_width,                     $actor->get_height                      ],
                                                 [ $actor->get_width,                     $stage->get_height - $actor->get_height ],
                                                 [ $stage->get_width - $actor->get_width, $stage->get_height - $actor->get_height ],
                                                 [ $stage->get_width - $actor->get_width, $actor->get_height                      ],
                                                 [ $actor->get_width,                     $actor->get_height                      ]);




Hard to show it here, but here you go:

Of course I have no idea if this is the “right” way to do it, but it seems to perform well enough so it will do for now. Next is to make a little photo thumbnail viewer, using the arrow keys to scroll through the photos and a little zooming magic.